Skip to main content

So I did what any sane individual would do… Went to sleep!(repost)



I think when last I wrote; I was headed down the road with Christian and Jesus about 80
mph in a car that felt as though it would burn up upon re-entry…mind you, I love a
roller coaster, and adrenaline is definitely my friend, but I prefer a small measure of safety involved into my forays into the land of speed… like good tires at least, but who am I to complain.

Our destination San Quintin, land of the Internet, bank, and jonke yards…

Before rolling north we made a quick stop in El Rosario to inform the espousas that the boys were headed to town, I was given a wink and a giggle by Jesus’ youngest who was about 5 and had some sort of black finder paint covering half of her face, (she was spinning like the Tasmanian devil), then Christians overly young wife handed me one of the sweetest oranges (naranja dulce) I have ever eaten.

We left El Rosario in a cloud of dust, it was wild, I kept saying despacio, tranquillo, (which in my limited Spanish means slow down, relax…but it evidently to a vaquero it actually means “you are driving too slow you stupid little girl”). All I got was a crazed laugh, so I did what seemed appropriate at the time; I closed my eyes for a nap…

It worked perfectly, I woke to Christian saying (Primera) which means first, or where first? I chose the internet café, got the number of the shop I needed, then to el telefono publico and ordered the parts, everything was smooth as could be, I got a little cash at the bank, then headed to scour the yonke yard for an old hub to roll in from the desert, with no luck at all, three junk yards in town, and not a car older than 1980, and not a single air cooled VW, we did meet a mecanico who spoke English, (learned it living in Portland of all places? The gifts, they just keep coming!) His name is Gennaro, he took us to La Tienda Bimbo (the shop of bimbo, not to be confused with Bimbos, but both are sweet). Anyway Bimbo is the Mexican equivalent of Hostess and all their delivery vehicles are VWs so he thought they might have something.
No luck,

It was around dusk at this point, I offered to buy the boys dinner, I was looking forward to some nice seafood, they chose hot dogs, I tried to talk them out of it, but they wanted hot dogs, good for my wallet, not so good for the pallet, we just needed somewhere to sit and plan, the idea of leaving the car in the middle of nowhere wasn’t particularly appealing, and the thought of staying in the desert until the parts arrived worked except for the giant semis, particularly using their air brakes on the particular section of road I was on.

I was about to jump a bus to Ensenada when Genaro committed to coming out with a tow dolly and picking me and the car up, he said it would end up costing around $150.00 and he needed $50 up front for the dolly rental, he would do it tonight but his friend had his truck in Tijuana, but he would be there at 6 am, Christian said “perfect I get up around 10” they all laughed, so did I after Genaro explained it to me in Inglas.

Genaro used to live in El Rosario so his plan was to come out that night, throw back some cold ones and get an early start.

The ride back was scarier than the ride out, we weren’t going; any faster, but it’s the whole anticipation thing, what you don’t know you aren’t afraid of, what you do, well that’s another story entirely. We arrived back at the car and thankfully everything seemed intact, I gave the boys my two remaining Hammock chairs and thanked them profusely.

I spent the evening staring at a huge moon listening to the coyotes, I lashed a tarp over the roll bar and that made an amazing difference warmth wise, right before I lay down some big bird swooped over me (I think it was a bird). I have no clue what it was really, maybe a big owl, who knows? Whatever it was it was moving a lot of air.

As I lay there going over the days events I felt happy and thankful for the safe ride, the new friends, and just life in general.

I was up at the crack of dawn, thankfully it wasn’t quite as cold, I made coffee and pulled out my skillet to cook up some bacon, when I opened the ice chest I realized that everything was not completely intact, apparently someone was hungry, I took a closer look at my skillet, and realized it had been washed, the bacon, yogurt, peanut butter and jello shots were all gone, there was a lot of stuff worth a lot more, but apparently someone just needed food, and they were nice enough to use the stove, and return it to its original spot, then clean the skillet, my only remaining question is how drunk did their children get on the jello shots?

About 10 am Christian was rolling south to feed the animals again, he seemed visibly angry at Gennaro that I was still stuck there, apparently Genaro hadn’t made it to town last night, I said tranquillo,(relax) he offered to call him and I said OK but the funny part was I knew he would get there whenever he was supposed to be there.

I dozed off reading around 11 am and was woken by Genaro and Saul pulling up laughing with a dolly and a ice cold Corona.

POSTED BY POORWHITECRIPPLEDBOY AT 7:10 PM 1 COMMENTS

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome Home

I am back in the US, its not by choice I assure you, but when the universe speaks, all we can do is listen, then act accordingly, its no problem to resist, (as long as you enjoy a steady rain of blows falling on you), and its been my experience that the universe can pack a wallop when you choose a course different than the one she has plotted for you. So after attempting (yet again) to follow my own agenda (as a replacement for whatever the universe seems to have in mind for me) I relented after much deliberation and pointed myself north, stashing the trailer and magic carpet temporarily at my new friend Rolando’s. I had a last order of Tostados at Antojitos and drove north against a virtual gale force wind (the final blow to strengthen my resolve I assume) The wind made sure I took it easy and had plenty of time to decipher exactly what was missing from my equation, my list ended up something like this: 4 wheel drive truck (or no magic carpet) Laptop Computer (or no blogging) Sell Boa

La Placadita

For me to awaken on a deserted beach is about as close to heaven as I can get, the vibrations are perfect, the music of las olas crashing fills my brain, the stars fading away to a golden sunrise, it is peace, it is paz. I pulled into town around dark, and followed my nose, they say the olfactory system has the easiest access to memory, and the smell of fresh tortillas and perfectly prepared carne is something one can never forget, I took a few minutes to breathe, give thanks and organise myself, have a quick sponge bath and just enjoy the stillness of my surroundings. I popped out of the car bouyed by the promises of tasty delights, there were seven or eight tables on the street, each table holding un grande plato, on the plate was a cornucopia of fixin´s, guacamole, salsa, frijoles, cabbage, limon and chilis, I took a table with a local man named Tony, we spoke of where we lived, and where life was taking us, at the table to my left sat 4 young travelers from Napa valley, they carrie

La Chingadera heads for home

Its not often in a persons life that an opportunity arises to drive a 1973 Volkswagen thing from California to Costa Rica and get paid for it. For me the call came in July of 2007, I had more or less forgotten that I had even put the car up for sale, and I was sitting at my sisters farm in beaver creek Oregon when it did come, I don't remember the exact words that were spoken, but it went something like this; I want to buy your car, will you take 8000 for it? would you be interested in delivering it to Costa? Yes seemed like the right answer at the time so thats what I said. Between monsoons, hurricanes, and missed connections, some months passed before we had all the details worked out, agreed on a plan of action, and money and titles changed hands, but somewhere near Thanksgiving of 07 I found myself planning the details for the Sunday drive of a lifetime. Trying to get out of the country was not the simplest task for me, since having fought a bout with cancer a couple of years