Skip to main content

If I had an Altimeter

I would guess we are sitting well above 8000 ft above sea level. (it took us nearly 11 hours of driving to get here) Much driving, poco reparation, and mucho grande Montanas, we climbed off the beach today on a road that seemed to be one long brutal uphill run, as we rolled up and up and up, the truck got hotter, and hotter and hotter, we spent at least an hour maybe two, just letting her rest, then we decided to stop and have her checked out considering we had much more mountain to climb, the culprit was a bad thermostat, after less than an hour and 200 pesos (less than 20 usd) we roll uphill, the car is good, we are tired, Ed is getting sick, (I just hope it doesn’t last long as my sickness did), we stop along the road a couple hours after dark and camp under a small grove of ancient Avocado trees. Its is cold outside, damn cold, (I suspect ed will be buying another blanket before he buys his guitar), and I need to evacuate my system, I sit under the trees on my commode chair literally freezing my balls, ed is snoring 12 feet away, I am frozen as I poop, the silence is shattered every few minutes by the Braaaappp, Braaaaappp of huge trucks using their compression brakes, I hear a babbling brook, and something rustling around in the bushes, quite possiblly it is the resident who lives at the end of the road, it could also be a giant rat, no se, its best I just finish my business and get in the warm comfort of my tent. I lay down and seem to have trouble getting my breath in the altitude, its not long before I drift off, it is certainly peaceful up here, we are among the volcanos, in the highlands of Michoacan, it is the Sierra Madre Sur Range according to our maps, (which are questionable at best, it seems there is a Canadian conspiracy to put only worthless information on these maps that does not exist on any road sign, nor in the memories of any local you may ask), small towns that are hardly a blink are on the map are represented, and medium sized towns that are thriving little places full of people and business are no where to be found, so plotting a course is a worthless idea, and trying to get directions to anywhere on the map is a complete waste of time as well, no matter really, its all part of the adventure.

When I wake the cold is history, the peaceful pastoral setting in which I slept is shattered by the loud purr of trucks con bombas, they are pumping 400 gallon buckets with fresh water, I don’t know whether its sweet to drink but I do know its a loud process that seems unending. There is shade, coffee and fruit, the unofficial boss of the pumping operation comes over and chats with us, we glean invaluable local info from him as I sit in fear that he will unwittingy step in last nights thinly covered business thankfully this does not happen, we gratefully thank him and continue our climb headed for the little town of Poracho, its a town chock full of master craftsmen who build amazingly beautiful guitars...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome Home

I am back in the US, its not by choice I assure you, but when the universe speaks, all we can do is listen, then act accordingly, its no problem to resist, (as long as you enjoy a steady rain of blows falling on you), and its been my experience that the universe can pack a wallop when you choose a course different than the one she has plotted for you. So after attempting (yet again) to follow my own agenda (as a replacement for whatever the universe seems to have in mind for me) I relented after much deliberation and pointed myself north, stashing the trailer and magic carpet temporarily at my new friend Rolando’s. I had a last order of Tostados at Antojitos and drove north against a virtual gale force wind (the final blow to strengthen my resolve I assume) The wind made sure I took it easy and had plenty of time to decipher exactly what was missing from my equation, my list ended up something like this: 4 wheel drive truck (or no magic carpet) Laptop Computer (or no blogging) Sell Boa

La Chingadera heads for home

Its not often in a persons life that an opportunity arises to drive a 1973 Volkswagen thing from California to Costa Rica and get paid for it. For me the call came in July of 2007, I had more or less forgotten that I had even put the car up for sale, and I was sitting at my sisters farm in beaver creek Oregon when it did come, I don't remember the exact words that were spoken, but it went something like this; I want to buy your car, will you take 8000 for it? would you be interested in delivering it to Costa? Yes seemed like the right answer at the time so thats what I said. Between monsoons, hurricanes, and missed connections, some months passed before we had all the details worked out, agreed on a plan of action, and money and titles changed hands, but somewhere near Thanksgiving of 07 I found myself planning the details for the Sunday drive of a lifetime. Trying to get out of the country was not the simplest task for me, since having fought a bout with cancer a couple of years

Somewhere north of La Paz

When one decides to drive to a remote beach deep in the baja there are may things one must first consider, such as; Is there air in the spare? Do we have enough water? How about beer, should we grab some? How much gas do we have? Tires are solid. Will there be food? Quanto Kilometros to la playa? Donde es la calle de costa. Many questions, yes many questions indeed. For me I prefer to do a cursory map check (it’s usually the tiny squiggle I cant even see) Then turn to mi amigo Eduardo and ask aya or aqui? So tonight 60 km of crushing dirt roads later it is nearing sunset and we sit on el Pacifico, our kidneys bashed, the Toyota is hot, the waves crashing on la mar, we are in a small valley that drains onto the beach, sunset is a golden glow of liquid light, we are semi stuck in deep sand but no matter, there are many whales spouting off shore and its absolutely incredible its un perfecto campo (except for maybe the deep sand and low charge on the power chair that effectively leaves me